Building and leading a team is one of the most difficult aspects of any business. In an industry as personal as fitness, a strong staff is paramount. Your staff, from full-time instructors to front desk specialists, are often the first impression for your members and prospects. Beyond that, your staff members have the opportunity to change lives and create a massive impact. When considering such importance, a thorough examination of your staffing process is crucial, especially hiring and ongoing development.
Recruiting and Hiring
The hiring process is your first line of defense in which your culture and long-term strategies are safeguarded. Successful hiring systems usually begin by recruiting highly qualified candidates. These candidates can come from a variety of sources, from referrals to online job boards. At a minimum, make sure you answer these questions:
- What type of character are we looking for?
- When do we need this new hire to begin?
- Are there any non-negotiable skills this new hire must have?
- Why would a high-quality fitness professional or admin want to work for us?
- Where are we going to post our openings and search for talent?
Learning and Development
Your learning and development plan may have two primary components, onboarding and ongoing development. The best way to ensure your new staff members follow operating procedures and understand the culture is to have documented systems in place.
For onboarding, make sure you are setting the tone immediately. Whether they realize it or not, your new hires should automatically enter a training system to learn your values and operations during their first week. For ongoing development, think about:
- the things your fitness business needs to improve in order to grow and scale
- the things each staff member needs to improve on the most in order to advance the business
Simply put, the ingredients of a winning team are firm hiring practices and a commitment to ongoing development.
The overarching theme of these ingredients is unwavering care – care for your members, your staff members and your community.
Show your team and the entire community that you care. Schedule a demo with our best-in-breed preferred member management software, Zen Planner.